If you want to work on a flavorful and very moist cake, you must know that egg whites will do the trick for you. The day I made the egg custard pie, I didn’t plan to embark on another baking idea. It was just me, playing a genie, granting my husband’s simple wish. However, after using just the egg yolks, I disliked the idea of throwing something that I believe can still be useful. That’s when the image of a vanilla cake entered the scene. And it’s so easy to make!
The idea though, of using a lot of butter, is frowned upon in this house. Yes, it lends a lot of flavor to the recipe but it is very unhealthy to load up your recipe with it. And half of a cup, like what my original recipe suggests, is too much! So I decided to cut the required amount into a quarter of a cup and used apple sauce of the same amount instead.
I have done this kind of trick many times. Last summer, I used the combination of apple sauce and olive oil (which works like butter too) when I made blueberry muffins. In some recipes, like spinach cheese puffs, I did the same.
This kind of cake makes a perfect basic cake for birthdays, weddings or for any kind of celebrations. Its unique richness of flavor helps a big deal in creating overall taste of your holiday cake. Its texture also will make those looking for a “melts in your mouth” kind of cake very happy. It’s too simple and yet, the cake’s taste is not underwhelming. Sometimes, you really don’t have to come up with an icing idea or to make your frosting. It’s already good enough to enjoy. Perfect for tea time!
When I made this cake last time, I whipped up some dark chocolate frosting, just enough for a 9×9-inch cake. The decadent combination meant we didn’t have any leftover for the next day. Sweet forces of calories, you’d say!
For purposes of sharing, below is the original recipe. It’s up to you if you want to do your own tweaks. If it is your first time to make this, it’s best to follow this one first. Save your idea for your next kitchen adventure.
VANILLA CAKE RECIPE
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 whole eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
3 egg whites
2 tbsps vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE A VANILLA CAKE
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
3. Cream together 1/2 cup sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time. Then pour in flour and milk, alternately. Add the vanilla extract and mix well until the batter is smooth.
4. In a big bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Gradually add the sugar while beating continuously. Continue beating until mixture is stiff.
5. Add half of the egg white mixture to the batter. Using the cut and fold technique, try to blend the two mixtures well. DO NOT BEAT.
6. Then add this blended batter into the remaining egg white mixture. Continue the cut and fold technique.
7. Once it is blended well enough, pour the batter into a greased baking pan. Spread it evenly using a spatula.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes.